You can do many things around your home, business or farm to save energy and reduce your energy bills. Here are a few tips:
- Install flow restrictors on your showerheads (saves water and energy).
- Turn your thermostat down on your water heater.
- Replace your incandescent light bulbs with fluorescent light bulbs. Fluorescent light bulbs last longer and use less energy.
- Install an insulation jacket on your water heater.
- Set back your heating thermostat when not home or sleeping. Setting the temperature back 5 degrees for an 8-hour period can save you 8-10% on your heating bill.
- Make sure insulation levels are adequate for your home.
- Caulk and weatherstrip leaky windows and doors.
- Set your central air conditioner at 78 degrees.
- If your heating system is old, replace it with a new system.
- When doing laundry, make sure you do a full load.
- Don't plug the headbolt heater on your car in all night. Use a timer to bring it on long enough to warm the engine.
- Ranchers should insulate and protect their stock waterers; doing so will reduce energy use.
North Central Electric Cooperative has energy experts on staff to help you reduce your energy bills. If you need help lowering your energy bills, call the cooperative at 701-228-2202 or 1-800-247-1197.